A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bring Some Liquid Cheer to Christmas

Now I don't drink very often, but on Christmas day I don't mind one or two maybe even 3 or 4 after all the kerfuffle of lunch is over and we are sitting and opening our presents.

Now last year my parents came to my house for Christmas and I designed an espresso martini for my Dad and I,we both love coffee flavoured drinks and my Mum never drinks alcohol and Mr CLI doesn't anymore.

This was such a hit the bottle of champagne stayed in the fridge and we managed to get through about 2 litres of this cocktail, a friend of ours also popped in an had one or two , she lives within walking distance and my parents stay here for a rest, so no one had to worry about driving.

So don't panic I made these so you knew there was some alcohol in them but not that strong that it would knock your socks of after the first glass.

This recipe can be altered to make other cocktails with cream in them if you like cream based cocktails.

You can later and adapt this recipe to your taste.

Espresso Martini
1 litre cold espresso coffee - I used instant espresso granules and boiling water let it cool then refrigerated it, as you don't want any coffee grounds
2 cups sugar syrup - made by boiling 2 1/2 cups water with 1 cup caster sugar till slightly thickened but not browned in any way about 5 minutes of simmering

vodka, kahlua and creme de cacao





creme de cacao






In a large jug mix the litre of coffee add 1 cup of sugar syrup and 1/4 cup of each liquor , stir and taste. You may need more liquor you want it so you can taste the alcohol but it not burn your mouth also you want it slightly sweet but not sickly sweet.

Peppermint Crisp













per drink
1/4 cup cream, 1 shot (30 ml) kahlua, 1 shot (30 ml) creme de menthe, 1/4 cup cold espresso coffee


creme de menthe









Shake together in a cocktail shaker or whizz in a blender, pour into you glass and top with grated chocolate.

So there are 2 ideas for some Christmas cheer, if you want to make a non alcoholic chocolate martini, use the coffee and sugar syrup mix together then top with a dollop of softly whipped cream and a grating of nutmeg. It is similar to an iced coffee but without the milk.

So next time you think of Christmas or even for New Years eve, think cocktails have a fossick in your drinks cupboard and see what you have hiding in the back and invent a cocktail just for you.

Cheers !

No comments:

Post a Comment