A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Caramel Chicken

Welcome to my new look. I decided it was time for a freshen up so I have altered the way I look. I hope you like it.

Now this recipe is from Kylie Kwong's - Simple Chinese Cooking, but as usual I have altered it.

I love the sweet, salty sauce with the mellow warmth of 5 spice powder, so when I make this recipe I make plenty of sauce for pouring over the chicken and steamed rice.

Now when Kylie Kwong makes this, she cooks then chicken in a fiercely hot wok so you get caramelised (think burnt) bits on the chicken. The problem I have is that in a domestic kitchen we can't use a large enough wok or get it to the heat of a commercial wok burner.

So I cook mine in a large frypan. I also cut my chicken while frozen so that I can get wafer thin slices of chicken that cook in about 2 - 3 minutes.

Also don't worry if you have more chicken that you can put in a single layer, I put my first layer in. When they turn white around the edges, I turn them over but pile them together and add more chicken. Once all the chicken has started to turn white on both sides add the sauce and let bubble for a minute. You will find the chicken is cooked through and moist.

The chicken only takes me about 5 minutes to cook from start to finish for 2 chicken breasts.

You can use thigh for this, but my preference is for breast meat.

Caramel Chicken
2 chicken fillets cut into 1/2 cm slices lengthwise then cut into bite size pieces, 2 tbsps peanut oil for cooking

To Serve - Steamed rice and stir fried vegetables

Marinade - 1/4 cup honey - I warm it in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it more liquid and easier to mix with the other ingredients, 4 tbsps shao hsing wine, 4 tbsps light soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 tsps 5 spice powder, 1/4 tsp sesame oil, 1 piece 2cm x 3cm fresh ginger grated

Mix together in a glass or ceramic bowl, add chicken and leave to marinate at least 2o minutes.


The chicken hanging about in its marinade.






Heat oil, using tongs drain pieces of chicken and lay on the base of the frypan, when starting to turn white at the edges turnover after 30 seconds move these pieces together then add more chicken.

When all the chicken has been added and has turned white pour in remaining marinade. Bring to the boil and let bubble for 1 minute. You want the sauce to thicken slightly, but not evaporate. Taste you may need more honey or soy sauce.



The chicken bubbling in the sauce.






When cooked serve with steamed rice and stir fried vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment