A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Southrn' Style Jerk Chicken Rice 'n' Peas


Now if you are like me and don't like cooking the same recipes all the time, you will probably do as I do and look through your cookbooks looking for inspiration, or even cruise the internet.

I was having one of those days the other day, I wanted to make something different and interesting. As I was looking through all the recipes I had printed of the internet I found a page of jerk chicken recipes. The light bulb went off this is what I am going to make.

It is actually quite easy once you have whizzed the sauce, it is just a matter of the chicken strips hanging about in the fridge covered in the marinade, then being cooked. You do need to save some of the marinade, don't pour all of it over the chicken this is for the jerk sauce. Also I cook all my rice in a rice cooker, gone are the days of rice boiling over and overcooking and becoming gluggy. So that is another easy step everything in the rice cooker and set it going.

I have allowed 1 chicken breast per person, because once you have tasted this you will want more.

Jerk chicken - Rice 'n' Peas

1 chicken breast per person

Jerk Marinade Sauce - 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp ground allspice or 12 whole allspice, 2 cloves garlic peeled and flattened, 1 2 cm knob ginger peeled and sliced, juice 3 limes approx 3 tbsps juice, 1/4 tsp chilli flakes. 1/2 red onion roughly chopped, 1 spring onion cut into 3 cm pieces, 3 tbsps olive oil, 3 tbsps light soy sauce, 2 tbsps water

Whizz all ingredients together in a food processor, Place 1/2 cup aside for sauce, pour the remainder over the chicken.

This is the marinade it doesn't look very exciting, but wait until you taste it.






Jerk Sauce - To the 1/2 cup of marinade kept aside add 3 tbsps tomato sauce and 3 tbsps light soy sauce. Bring to the boil and pour over cooked chicken.

Cut the chicken into tenderloins, place in a flat bowl/dish cover well with the marinade. Cover and put into the fridge leave at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.




Chicken hanging about in the marinade





Rice 'n' Peas
2 cups jasmine rice, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup frozen peas, 2 tsps liquid chicken stock or 1 stock cube

Place everything in the rice cooker, stir around set going. If you don't have a rice cooker cook your rice as you would normally.

When the rice is nearly cooked heat a griddle pan or a large frypan. Drizzle with a little oil place the chicken on, cook 3 - 4minutes or until nice grill marks on the chicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then turn the chicken cook 3 - 4 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with rice 'n' peas and jerk sauce.



All nicely griddled

1 comment:

  1. hehe I'm just like you! I just love trying and experimenting with new dishes! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete