A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Dim Sims

Dim Sims ready for steaming.

Now as part of our big Chinese Banquet the other week I made home made dim sum (dim sims).

They are actually very easy to make, you just mix the filling ingredients together, place a teaspoonful in the centre of the wrappers, fold or gather wrappers as you want then steam.

I had circle wrappers so I placed the filling in the centre and gathered the sides up to form an edge around the filling. Also it is best if you steam them on baking paper, so that they don't stick to your steamer basket.




These are the wrappers I used, you can also get square ones






I must admit that I have bamboo steamer basket which I use to steam the dim sims, but a normal steamer works just as well.

Dim Sim
250 grams pork mince, 1 desertspoon very finely diced celery, 1 desertspoon finely diced water chestnuts, 1 spring onion, finely diced - white part only, 2 button mushrooms finely chopped, 1/4 tsp ground white pepper. 2 tsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp light soy sauce - you can also add 1 tbsp finely shredded cabbage





chopped ingredients before adding the pork mince





Mix all ingredients together. Place a heaped teaspoon into wrapper of your choice, fold as you wish. Place on parchment/baking paper. Steam 15 minutes. Remove from heat, then eat.









You can also bring all the edges together to create what is called a purse







Or using square wrappers fold the points together to create this shape

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love using those wrappers-they're so easy and it's great that you can get them at the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete