A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chinese Banquet for a lazy Sunday

Now you might think that lazy Sunday and Chinese Banquet is a contradiction in terms, but for those of us that enjoy tinkering in the kitchen creating yummy food items it is exactly that.

Now Mr CLI & I were creating the food shopping list for this week when he asked about the weekends meals - beating Miss Fish who likes to have her meals well planned. I replied that I hadn't thought about it yet !

He replied "what about making some homemade dim sims and vegetables spring rolls". Now if I am going to make dim sims and spring rolls I might as well go the whole hog and have a banquet.

So what is going to be on the menu
Dim sims - peanut & pork wontons - vegetable spring rolls - fried rice - prawn crackers - and either gado gado or satay chicken skewers & vegetable stirfry.

Now I won't be creating everything on Sunday, but Miss Fish & I will potter on Saturday making dim sims, wontons & spring rolls. I will also cook the rice so that it is nice and dry on Sunday for the fried rice. I will also cut chicken & vegetables ready.

Now what is Mr CLI's contribution to this meal other than suggesting it and eating eat - cooking the springs rolls and wontons.

Now for dessert I normally have steamed custard buns in the freezer from a restaurant in Templestowe, but I don't at the moment so I might try one of the packets of custards/jelly I bought from a Chinese grocers in Adelaide on my last visit, this will be another job for Saturday.

Pork & Peanut wontons
250 grams pork mince, 2 tsps peanut butter, 1 spring onion - white & light green part chopped finely, 2 tsps oyster sauce, small pinch ground white pepper, wonton wrappers

Mix together all ingredients, except wrappers. Place 1 tsp of mixture on 1 1/2 of the wrapper on the angle. Moisten edges fold over to create a triangle, with the fold edge facing you twist and tuck the left and right corners under to create ears, or join the 2 corners like the photo below.









Heat about 1 cm of oil in a frypan or 4 cm in the bottom of a wok, heat to 170 c. or when a piece of wrapper turn golden slowly. Cook turning until wrappers crispy and centre cooked, approx 3 - 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel.

Serve with a dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment