A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Very Easy Chicken Enchiladas (enchiladas de pollo)


Well I am back online after yesterday - the day from hell - when a fuse kept blowing taking out power, so no laptop.

I make these enchiladas all the time, the recipe is very versatile. I will give variations in the recipe, as they are very filling I can get 4 enchiladas from 1 large chicken breast and 8 enchiladas from 2 chicken breasts. If you don't want the dish to be hot leave out chilli powder/tabasco sauce, and if people would like some warmth they can drizzle theirs with either green or red tabasco sauce. I will quote amounts for 8 enchiladas.

Chicken Enchiladas
2 large chicken breasts - cubed, 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour, 1/2 cup milk ( I have made this with soy milk, you can also use low fat), 1/2 cup chicken stock (I use boiling water & stock powder), 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 teaspoon each ground coriander and cumin, 1 large/2 small cloves garlic grated, 1/2 tsp chilli powder or a few drops tabasco sauce, 8 flour tortillas

Tomato Sauce
1 cup tomato passatta, 1 teaspoon each ground coriander and cumin, few drops tabasco - if you want the sauce hot.

Mix together

Grated cheese. To serve greek yoghurt or sour cream.

Chicken filling
Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a frypan, add chicken cook until white, you can brown slightly if you wish. Make room in centre of frypan, add tomato paste, cook for 1 minute. Stir into chicken, add garlic, stir. Sprinkle over the flour, stir 1 minute. Add milk and stock, stir quickly to prevent lumps. Add spices. Stir until sauce has thickened. You want a bit of sauce as this it what makes the enchiladas moist, if the sauce thickens to much add a bit more boiling water. Remove from the heat.










Place tortillas on a flat surface, divide mixture evenly in the centre of each tortilla. Roll up into a sausage shape. I squeeze/push the filling to fill the length of the enchilada as I roll it.


Place half the sauce in base of your baking dish spread it around. Place the enchiladas in the dish. Spread the remainder of the sauce on top. Top with as much grated cheese as you want to use.









Bake in 200.c fan forced oven 15-20 minutes, if cooking straight after making the sauce, as you only need to heat through and melt cheese. If you have made it earlier it will take about 25 - 30 minutes.










I serve it with a salad and a dollop of greek yoghurt, I find sour cream to rich, but if you like it use it and Enjoy !




1 comment: